Preserving Freshness: Why Storing Blackberries in Ball Mason Jars is the Best Way...
Keeping fruit fresh in mason jars is an excellent way to preserve them - they remain delicious long after picking and can be turned into anything from pickles, to jams to chutneys.
From those who brave the thorns to pick them fresh, to the creative minds who transform them into mouth-watering concoctions, blackberries are a real prize for the summer months.
'Blackberries lend themselves to both sweet and savoury dishes, making them a versatile ingredient that can elevate any meal.'
What is a mason jar?
For preserving the peak flavours of blackberry season, using a Ball Mason Jar is the very best way. These iconic jars have been a fixture in kitchens for generations, and for good reason. With their classic design and airtight seal, they're the perfect vessel to capture the essence of blackberries in all their glory. In fact, they're the gold standard of mason jars - great for reducing food waste, saving you money, time and for decluttering and minimalizing your kitchen. Ball mason jars have superior durability and quality and they're freezer, microwave and dishwasher proof.
So, whether you're making jams, jellies, or even pickled blackberries, Ball Mason Glass Jars provide the canvas on which these culinary masterpieces can be created...
'Using your Ball Mason Glass Jars to plan ahead and preserve is just great thinking!'
From a classic blackberry pie with a buttery, flaky crust to a zesty blackberry vinaigrette that adds a burst of flavour to your salads, the possibilities are endless. Here's how to make a blackberry jam:
- 3-1/2 cups crushed blackberries
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 3-oz liquid pectin
- 1/2 tsp butter or margarine, optional
- 7 cups sugar
- Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil (You can preheat your Ball canning jars in hot - 180°F - water. Keeping jars hot prevents them from breaking when filled with hot food. Leave lids and bands at room temperature for easy handling). Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- Combine prepared berries with lemon juice and sugar in a 6 or 8-quart saucepan. Add up to 1/2 tsp butter or margarine to reduce foaming, if desired. Bring mixture to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down, over high heat, stirring frequently.
- Add pectin, immediately squeezing entire contents in. Continue to boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary.
- Ladle hot jam into a hot jar leaving a ¼ inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Centre lid on jar and apply band, adjust to fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- Process jars in boiling water for 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid and let stand for 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool. (Check lids for seal after 24 hours - lid should not flex when centre is pressed.)
If you have ever considered mason jar birthday gift ideas - jams, chutneys and pickles are a great option.
Carefully prepared and sealed in for freshness - Ball Mason glass jars are not just containers; they can be heartfelt gifts too. Not only are they a thoughtful and often more affordable choice - you have the added bonus of showing just how much you care with a gift that is truly personal. From birthday's, to Christmas to Mother's Day gifting, Ball Mason Glass Jars a great go-to.
When reducing waste, Ball Mason jars are a sustainable choice. By opting for these reusable jars, you're making a conscious decision to reduce waste and embrace an eco-friendlier lifestyle. It's a small step that contributes to a bigger movement of caring for our planet.
Blackberry season is fleeting but it's a time when nature offers us its best, preserve that goodness with the help of Ball Mason Glass Jars!